Public Affairs Committee (PAC) and the PAC Fund
What is PAC?
The Public Affairs Committee (PAC) is TLABC’s fundraising arm for non-operational expenses, generally in the form of special projects and initiatives.Whereas operational expenses cover staff salaries and day-to-day office needs, PAC funds are in place to ensure TLABC can follow through, when and where needed, with regard to seeking justice and fighting back against threats to the rights of individuals. Historically, this has includedseveral battles to ensure no-fault auto insurance is not implemented in BC. It has also included things such as a public campaign in opposition to the government’s Civil Liability Review, which was concluded in 2004, during the first instalment of Premier Gordon Campbell’s government. PAC fundraising has existed for over 35 years. Many TLABC members contribute regularly by way of monthly or annual donations.
Click here to download the PAC Pledge Form
You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or call her at 604 696-6520 or toll free 1 888 558-5222.
Our Donors are so important to us! For the list of current donors, please click here.
Current PAC Initiatives Include:
- The Battle for Legal Aid
- The Campaign for a Wrongful Death Act
- Ongoing ICBC Issues & No-Fault Insurance
Here are some examples of how the PAC fund has been used in the past:
Polling conducted by TLABC
Support for partner groups, e.g. contributions to the Coalition Against No-Fault in BC
Pre-election questionnaires in 1996, 2001 and 2005
The costs associated with Freedom of Information requests
Funding contributions for key cases and appeals – e.g. the Lee appeal and cross-appeal, the PST case/challenge.
The 5 primary functions of PAC:
- Fundraising to support TLABC’s non-operational initiatives.
- Promoting and preserving the positive aspects of the judicial system.
- Opposing legislation that would restrict or weaken rights and curtail access to justice for individuals and the public at large.
- Gathering and sharing of information to keep members and clients apprised of issues relevant to their interests.
- Building, maintaining and (when necessary) restoring a reserve fund to equip TLABC with the ability to deal with major crises as they develop. This enables TLABC to hit the ground running in the event of unforeseen developments and direct threats to the rights of citizens and the ability lawyers have to adequately represent them.
PAC Plus - Noteworthy Info
Click here for some additional, noteworthy information regarding PAC.
The Champion of Justice- Larry Kancs Legacy Award (2014)
The Public Affairs Committee (PAC) is pleased to present the 2013 Larry Kancs Legacy Award to Edward Montague!
For the notice- click HERE
Published as a quarterly newsletter, the PowerPAC is your source for updates & information surrounding the TLABC Public Affairs Committee (PAC) Fund.
The PowerPAC - March 2015 - issued 16 March 2015
The PowerPAC - Fall 2014 - issued 29 September 2014
The PowerPAC - Spring 2014 - issued 20 May 2014
The PowerPAC - Fall 2013 - issued 25 November 2013
The PowerPAC - Summer 2013 - issued 30 August 2013
The PowerPAC - Spring 2013 - issued 7 May 2013
The PowerPAC - Winter 2013 - issued 31 January 2013
The PowerPAC - Fall 2012 - issued September 24 2012
QuarterPAC - Winter 2012 issued 10 February 2012
QuarterPAC - Winter 2011 issued 17 February 2011
QuarterPAC - Spring 2011 issued 16 June 2011